Conflicts occur in the Conflict Phase, when players take turns attacking each other, and can be either Military or Political. The general flow of this phase is as follows:
- The first player declares an attack. As part of this attack, they determine which Characters they are sending, which Province they are attacking, whether the conflict is Military or Political, and which Ring they are trying to claim.
- The defending player chooses which Characters will defend the attack.
- Players take turns playing Conflict cards they have drawn from their Conflict deck to try and change the outcome of the conflict.
- After all cards are played, the player with the higher relevant Skill total wins the Conflict. If the attacker wins, they gain the benefit of the Ring they had claimed. If the attacker wins by an amount equal to or greater than the province Strength, they break the province they attacked.
- All participating characters bow and return to the home area.
- This repeats for the second player, then the first player, then the second player again.
A player can only declare each conflict type (Military or Political) once per turn and each Ring can only be claimed once per turn.